[ltp] Re: Problem with freezing, flashing caps lock light

John Sullivan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 11:29:45 -0500

Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> John Sullivan wrote:
>> I'm wondering if anyone has seen a problem similar to this. I can't
>> reproduce it all the time, but what seems to be happening is that if I
>> remove the bluetooth PCMCIA card from my X40, and then put the laptop to
>> sleep (ACPI suspend to ram), when I try to resume again, the screen will
>> come back, but everything will be frozen, with the caps lock indicator light
>> flashing. I have to reboot. This is with 2.6.15, Debian unstable. As long as
>> I leave the card in, there is no problem with suspending and resuming, and
>> there aren't any similar problems with suspending and resuming in sessions
>> where I don't use the card at all.
>
> The flashing keyboard LEDs mean that the kernel has panicked.
>
> At exactly what point in the suspend cycle are you removing the PCMCIA card?
> Are you using "cardctl eject", or just pulling it out?

I remove the card before hitting FN-F4. Sometimes quite a while before. I just
pull the card out. Is it better to use cardctl?

I've tested a few more times since posting, and it seems like stopping the
bluetooth services (so that hciconfig shows no interfaces) before removing the
card prevents the panic.

--
-John Sullivan
-http://www.wjsullivan.net