[ltp] T43 or T43p and APM?

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 31 Dec 2005 18:33:03 -0600

* Felix E. Klee <felix.klee@inka.de> [2005 Dec 31 12:14 -0600]:
> Soren Harward wrote:
> >As for the performance profiles (like "Maximum Performance" and "Maximum
> >Battery"), all those do is just set all your devices to certain
> >pre-defined settings, like clocking down the processor and dimming the
> >display.  You can set all those things manually, or you can write a
> >little script (hooked into ACPI events if you desire) to do the same.
>
> Um, did you read the subject of my original message?  I was asking
> concerning APM support.

I'm not sure how well APM is support on the T4x series as I think it's
an obsolete standard.  ACPI is the new game in town and I have suspend
to RAM working quite well.  For a T42, I started with the script at
http://www.thinkwiki.org which includes unloading the usb module.  I
added some other features such as turning off the UltraBay LED and
splicing in some code from another script that saves the video state
and restores it (which works splendidly on my T23 so I can switch from
X to a VT).  I also added stopping ALSA and restarting it on resume
(essential on my T23 and beneficial on the T42).

I have not started playing with suspending to disk, but I have no doubt
that it'll be quite simple (I have 512 MiB of RAM and 1 GiB of swap).
It seems my T42 suffers from the excessive power draw on suspend
problem as yesterday it went about eight hours.  On XP it would go a
couple of days.  Shining a light at the screen one can still see text
so the video must still be running.  By constrast, my T23 is dead blank
on suspend.

I can supply my scripts here, if needed, but I may update the wiki as
well.  My ACPI events ignore the lid closure so the laptop continues to
run.  When I want it to suspend the Fn-F4 combination does the honors
and closing then opening the lid will resume.  CPU frequency control is
handled by the powernowd daemon.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of