[ltp] Problem with X (Radeon 7500)

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 03 Jan 2006 14:27:12 +0100

Hello

>>> I'd say this is the "Radeon 7500 "DynamicClocks" randomly hangs"
>>> listed in ThinkWiki, which leads to the bug report: Does anyone have a
>>> solution, workaround or comments?
>>
>> Disable the DynamicClocks Option in the xorg/xfree-config.
>>
>> Use rovclock to set the frequencies by hand (Hint: it can also
>> overclock). Only way i found so far.
>
> But the bug report says (a couple of messages down) that the problem is
> still present with DynamicClocks disabled.

Based on Xorg 6.8 without patches:
There are 2 different bugs: one preventing x from starting/initalising the
gfx-card with dyn clock anabled and another one crashing it some time
after x has fully started.

IMHO: if you disable dyn clocks and x starts w/o problems then you are
affected by bug 2187. If it crashs later, some time after startup, you
have a different problem. My R51 under debian testing with kernel 2.6.11
and xorg 6.8.2 (release date 9 February 2005) only had problems with bug
2187. It's rock solid and fast (DRI, GLX, Mesa enabled) w/o dyn clocks.
(btw.: Thx to anybody making this possible)

As soon as 6.9/7.0 makes it into debian testing i will test the changes.

cu