[ltp] T60

Fri, 6 Jan 2006 12:22:54 +0000 (GMT)

As part of a review of Intel's new Core Duo chip, Anandtech have just
published a review of a new preview Lenovo (IBM-branded as ever) laptop
- the T60.  This looks and sounds very much from the pictures and
somewhat vague specs as very much a reassuring continuation of the
T-series with the new chip (notable for improved performance and yet
improved battery life, reportedly).

http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=2663&p=15

- their version came with a Intel 945GM chipset, 3945ABG wireless,
SATA drive and an Intel Core Duo T2600 (2.16GHz) processor.  It looks
identical to existing T's to me, in terms of case construction.

Notably, it looks like Lenovo have decided to return to the 14.1"
screen, at least here.  I expect they're also offering the 15",
as Dell offer both (plus a widescreen).  I have a 14" 1400x1050 T40,
and wasn't sure if I was pleased when it appeared that Lenovo/IBM were
dropping 14.1" for 15" in the T-series - the usability vs portability
issue is subtle at this size and resolution, but I find 14.1" good,
personally.  Interesting to see what they offer.

They're reporting 5 hours battery time on the 6-cell battery under real
wireless or (not and!) Office use on Windows.  They're subjectively
reporting that the construction of the T60 is top notch, as is the case
with all Thinkpads (I'd qualify "top-notch" a bit as mine's had its
problems, and replace that with "better than a Dell").

Looks like the double USB ports have swapped sides - they're over by
the UltraBay now - and there are air vents now at the back instead of
(as well as?) at the side.  So now your knee gets hot instead of the
cat curled up by your leg who discovered sometime ago this was the
hottest place in the room.  They're saying there's another USB port on
the left too, with the VGA moved over there.  They mention "a legacy
PC Card slot" which might imply they're moving to the one-slot rather
than two-slot PC Card model, as Dell did rather disconcertingly, or
maybe the reviewer just didn't count.  I don't know about you, but
I don't consider PC Card "legacy", and always feel more comfortable
with two.  Who knows when I conceivably might want to run kismet on a
second wireless card, at the same time as plugging in a firewire drive?

This isn't a proper review as it's pre-production, but it sounds
promising if you like the old T-series style.  I would love to think
this will work flawlessly with Linux without much work on release, but
the devil's in the details I guess.

Is anyone encouraged by this?  I am a bit.

Honey