[ltp] Re: Fwd: Working 3D acceleration on IBM ThinkPad T23 ;-)

Eric Van Buggenhaut linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 14:35:31 +0100

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 01:20:53PM +0100, Eric Van Buggenhaut wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 11:23:19AM +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Am Freitag 06 Januar 2006 01:04 schrieb Eric Van Buggenhaut:
> >
> > > Thanks for the details. Do you know what I have to do after installing
> > > libgl1-mesa-dri to have X using the r300_dri.so module ?
> >
> > Hello Eric,
> >
> > almost everything has been said in this thread already:
> >
> > Run "glxgears" and save its output somewhere, if you want to find out the
> > difference between 3D acceleration or no 3D acceleration.
> >
> > Have a kernel with savage DRM module. Since Linux 2.6.14 its in the
> > mainstream kernel source. You can use the official debian sid/etch kernel
> > packages or create your own kernel package. If you happen to have a IBM
> > ThinkPad T23 I can give you a suitable config ;-) and instructions to get
> > it set up with Software Suspend 2 ;-), but I also have a config which
> > only uses software suspend as in the kernel.
> >
> > Have X.org 6.9 from sid (there is also a backport for sarge users already:
> > http://www.backports.org).
> >
> > Install the savage DRI driver, either from the snapshot archive or just
> > install the package libgl1-mesa-dri ;-)
> >
> > Make sure the DRI module is loaded in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> >
> > Section "Module"
> > [...]
> >         Load    "dri"
> > [...]
> > EndSection
> >
> > Restart X.org and try
> >
> > glxinfo | grep -i direct
> >
> > It should return:
> > direct rendering: Yes
> >
> > When it gives a segmentation fault, reboot your machine completely and try
> > again.
> >
> > Try "glxgears". It should report a higher framerate now.
> >

> Working now, thanks a lot ! I get this:
>
> [eric@atto:~]$ glxinfo |grep -i direct
> *********************************WARN_ONCE*********************************
> File r300_state.c function r300Enable line 456
> TODO - double side stencil !
> No ctx->FragmentProgram._Current!!
> direct rendering: Yes
>
> [eric@atto:~]$ [eric@atto:~]$ glxgears
> *********************************WARN_ONCE*********************************
> File r300_state.c function r300Enable line 456
> TODO - double side stencil !
> No ctx->FragmentProgram._Current!!
> *********************************WARN_ONCE*********************************
> File r300_render.c function r300_get_num_verts line 188
> user error: Need more than 2 vertices to draw primitive QS !
> 3902 frames in 5.0 seconds = 780.400 FPS
> 4430 frames in 5.0 seconds = 886.000 FPS
> 4433 frames in 5.0 seconds = 886.600 FPS
>
> Is this a reasonable rate ?
>
> Regards,

I guess I messed things up, acceleration is gone now and I can't get it
back :((

[eric@atto:~]$ glxinfo |grep -i render
direct rendering: No
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

I just restarted X and it's gone... I probably changed some packages
on the system and broke the good config. Now I'm lost, I can't direct
rendering either with:

ii  libgl1-mesa-dri 6.3.2-2
rc  xlibmesa-gl     6.9.0.dfsg.1-1
rc  xlibmesa-dri    6.9.0.dfsg.1-1
ii  xlibmesa-glu    6.8.2-10

installed, nor with

rc  libgl1-mesa-dri 6.3.2-2
ii  xlibmesa-dri    6.9.0.dfsg.1-1
ii  xlibmesa-gl     6.9.0.dfsg.1-1
ii  xlibmesa-glu    6.8.2-10

I have to add that I didn't touch /etc/X11/xorg.conf

At which point did I go wrong ?

--
Eric VAN BUGGENHAUT
Eric.VanBuggenhaut@AdValvas.be