[ltp] Re: Fwd: Working 3D acceleration on IBM ThinkPad T23 ;-)

Eric Van Buggenhaut linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 13:20:53 +0100

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 11:23:19AM +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Freitag 06 Januar 2006 01:04 schrieb Eric Van Buggenhaut:
>
> > Thanks for the details. Do you know what I have to do after installing
> > libgl1-mesa-dri to have X using the r300_dri.so module ?
>
> Hello Eric,
>
> almost everything has been said in this thread already:
>
> Run "glxgears" and save its output somewhere, if you want to find out the
> difference between 3D acceleration or no 3D acceleration.
>
> Have a kernel with savage DRM module. Since Linux 2.6.14 its in the
> mainstream kernel source. You can use the official debian sid/etch kernel
> packages or create your own kernel package. If you happen to have a IBM
> ThinkPad T23 I can give you a suitable config ;-) and instructions to get
> it set up with Software Suspend 2 ;-), but I also have a config which
> only uses software suspend as in the kernel.
>
> Have X.org 6.9 from sid (there is also a backport for sarge users already:
> http://www.backports.org).
>
> Install the savage DRI driver, either from the snapshot archive or just
> install the package libgl1-mesa-dri ;-)
>
> Make sure the DRI module is loaded in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> Section "Module"
> [...]
>         Load    "dri"
> [...]
> EndSection
>
> Restart X.org and try
>
> glxinfo | grep -i direct
>
> It should return:
> direct rendering: Yes
>
> When it gives a segmentation fault, reboot your machine completely and try
> again.
>
> Try "glxgears". It should report a higher framerate now.

Working now, thanks a lot ! I get this:

[eric@atto:~]$ glxinfo |grep -i direct
*********************************WARN_ONCE*********************************
File r300_state.c function r300Enable line 456
TODO - double side stencil !
No ctx->FragmentProgram._Current!!
direct rendering: Yes

[eric@atto:~]$ [eric@atto:~]$ glxgears
*********************************WARN_ONCE*********************************
File r300_state.c function r300Enable line 456
TODO - double side stencil !
No ctx->FragmentProgram._Current!!
*********************************WARN_ONCE*********************************
File r300_render.c function r300_get_num_verts line 188
user error: Need more than 2 vertices to draw primitive QS !
3902 frames in 5.0 seconds = 780.400 FPS
4430 frames in 5.0 seconds = 886.000 FPS
4433 frames in 5.0 seconds = 886.600 FPS

Is this a reasonable rate ?

Regards,

--
"Un disco para gobernarlos a todos.
 Un disco para encontrarlos y atarlos en las tinieblas.

Eric VAN BUGGENHAUT
eric@sindominio.net