[ltp] Bad hard drive sector

Bill Sheppard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 15 Jan 2006 19:12:32 -0800

Laurent Gilson wrote:
>> So it appears there is a bad sector (or sectors on the hard drive).
> Try smartctl -a /dev/hda. What is the value for realloc-count ?
Raw value, which I assume is what matters, is 0:

    ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE
    UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
      1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000b   100   100   050    Pre-fail
    Always       -       0
      2 Throughput_Performance  0x0005   100   100   050    Pre-fail
    Offline      -       0
      3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   100   100   001    Pre-fail
    Always       -       1338
      4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age
    Always       -       984
      5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   050    Pre-fail
    Always       -       0

Current_Pending_Sector is 1, which I read on Google implies there is a
bad sector.
>> It's a fairly new Toshiba MK6026GAX 60GB.  I understand the drives are
>> supposed to reallocate bad sectors automatically, but it appears it
>> isn't since the error persists.  Any ideas how I can correct this?
> The disc only has XY spare sectors. If all these are used new bad
> sectors become visible to the OS (didn't use hdparm -D ?). That's a
> very, very bad sign. It's going downhill fast from that point on.
Does

    # hdparm -D1 /dev/hda

    /dev/hda:
     setting drive defect management to 1
     HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(defectmgmt) failed: Input/output error

mean anything?

Bill

Bill Sheppard                                  Industry Marketing Manager
bill.sheppard@sun.com                   Consumer and Mobile Systems Group
(408) 404-1254 (x68154)                            Sun Microsystems, Inc.