[ltp] Bad hard drive sector

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:27:55 +0100

Hello

> So it appears there is a bad sector (or sectors on the hard drive).

Try smartctl -a /dev/hda. What is the value for realloc-count ?

> It's a fairly new Toshiba MK6026GAX 60GB.  I understand the drives are
> supposed to reallocate bad sectors automatically, but it appears it
> isn't since the error persists.  Any ideas how I can correct this?

The disc only has XY spare sectors. If all these are used new bad sectors
become visible to the OS (didn't use hdparm -D ?). That's a very, very bad
sign. It's going downhill fast from that point on.

Claim warranty if you can.

cu & good luck.