[ltp] but i810 can't use DynamicClocks

Dan Jacobson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 22:40:47 +0800

If only I could get the graphics chip cooler, I wouldn't have to
listen to the fan.  But i810 can't use DynamicClocks, now what?
Besides, even without doing /etc/init.d/xdm start, the fan is on half
the time. So what can be done on an 80x25 line console to lower the
graphics chip temperature?  Any cases where X can use less power than
non X during normal use?

Can't we lower chip temperatures instead of giving up and imposing our
own fan algorithm?  I use a r50e on AC power.

http://www.mk-stuff.de/artikel-linux_on_an_ibm_thinkpad_r50e.php#freq
finds "no savings while decreasing the CPU frequency. Reason enough for
me to deactivate all CPU-Frequencing options in the Kernel". Therefore
no need to bother with the CPU.