[ltp] t42p overheating (in docking station)

Frank Fiene linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:38:15 +0100

Hi,

my t42p (2GHz Dothan) does a shutdown, if it's getting to hot on high
CPU load. But only plugged into the docking station.

If i start a high load task, i can wait 20 to 30 seconds and it reaches
93 degrees centigrade. The fan is not getting more rpm. It runs at 3670
rpm.

If my system is undocked, the fan is getting faster early, so that the
CPU is not getting so hot.

What is the problem?

BTW: I don't understand these acpi-thing:

/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/cooling_mode says:
<setting not supported>
cooling mode:   passive

Why "passive", not "active"?

/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/trip_points
critical (S5):           93 C
passive:                 89 C: tc1=8 tc2=5 tsp=600 devices=0xdfffee20

Why isn't there an entry with "active" for starting the fan?

Is there a problem with the ibm_acpi driver against the "normal" acpi?

/pro/acpi/ibm/fan says:
status:         enabled
speed:          3670
commands:       enable, disable

Please help!
I can use the machine power only if the tp is undocked! :-((((

Frank

--
VEKA AG - Dieselstraße 8 - 48324 Sendenhorst
ffiene@veka.com - Tel:02526-29-6200