[ltp] Admit fan never off more than 90 seconds

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:54:57 +0100

Hello

> Is it a fact of life in Thinkpad land that no matter how one
> configures their Thinkpad, one's pristine meditation chamber must
> still be marred by fan noise every few minutes, at least with model
> r50e?

R51: No fan at all (except on startup while BIOS-POST) for 6 hours
straight while surfing, emailing, testing and developing a website using
php and javascript. I think it can go much longer w/o fan, but i need a
break from time-to-time....

I did not change the fan algorithm, just used dymanic frequency scaling
(centrino) and undervolting
(http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Undervolt_a_Pentium_M_CPU) for the CPU,
underclocking the GPU (rovclock), enabled powersaving on the WLAN
(iwconfig eth1 power period 1000) and moved / from HD to RAM (long story
with initrd)

It's slient like a brick.

The laptop sits on a wooden desk. The fan spins if it sits on something
soft and isolating.

I think the same is possible with a R50e since where are not that many
differences between the 2.

> $ grep clock /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg/README.i810

Except the gfx-chip. Out-of-luck there.

>    o Fully programmable clock supported.

That means you can use it at any resolution and refreshrate you want.

> And with gzip, hours of output fit into just a few kilobytes. Upon
> expansion one can use gnuplot to see what is happening.)

I'm still not so sure about the i810. It should not consume much power.
It's rated at +-1/4 of the radeon-7500-chip. And even if i remove rovclock
my fan spins for only for 5 min in the first hour. (constant at low speed
after 2 hours).

cu