[ltp] Admit fan never off more than 90 seconds

Dan Jacobson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:33:17 +0800

Is it a fact of life in Thinkpad land that no matter how one
configures their Thinkpad, one's pristine meditation chamber must
still be marred by fan noise every few minutes, at least with model
r50e?

On AC power (didn't try otherwise) each cycle is approximately:
90 seconds of no fan, temperature rises to 62 C.
60 seconds of fan, temperature descends to 54 C.
And this is the same running X windows or not.

> Anyway - in my case the fan is off most of the time

Well 3/5 is indeed "most", but have any of you r50e etc. professionals kept
the fan off for more than 90 seconds? (Getting the GPU to run cooler, not
recklessly changing the fan algorithm of course.)

$ grep clock /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg/README.i810
   o Fully programmable clock supported.
However nothing is mentioned on the i810 man page, and I see the same
temperatures without running X. With just the console I don't suppose
one can cool the GPU further? Or can running X windows sometimes be cooler
than not?

(I logged the single temperature here in Linux 2.6.12 with crude perl script:
die unless open my $fh, "</proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/temperature"; my
$k++;$|++;while ( sleep 1){$_=readline $fh;$b.=chr((split)[1]);
unless($k++%80){print"$b\n";$b=""} seek($fh,0,0);}#could even try 4 bits.
And with gzip, hours of output fit into just a few kilobytes. Upon
expansion one can use gnuplot to see what is happening.)