[ltp] Rescue and Recovery data destroyer

Vaclav Stepan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:54:29 +0100

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 09:51:41AM +0100, Laurent Gilson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Tested on R51 with dual-boot windows XP and debian.
>
> >Way a) Install the Linux bootloader to the /boot partition
> >       and give the partition a boot flag. (This way the MBR
> >       would be kept intact.)
>
> didn't test, too late :)

R50e, dual-boot XP and Debian Sarge:
This does not work, even when the partition was the primary
one - maybe there is some limit like for LILO or such on
the partition placement - I tried booting from hda3 starting
at 20 GiB and never got over Missing operating system.

> >Way b) Install GRUB to bootloader and use the configuration
> >       supplied below - that is set the partition to FAT 32
> >       before booting it and reset it to Compaq diagnostics
> >       before booting Linux.
>
> Works.
>
> >Way c)
> >http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-46088
> >       Get the same by hiding/unhiding the partition on-demand.
>
> Works. (tested with partition type set to FAT32. windows does not see the
> partition)

:-) I tried a combination of b and c and works too. Possibly one
may modify GRUB and a shortcut for the F11 button.

Wow I am happy :-)

Vaclav Stepan