[ltp] suspend, T43

fire-eyes linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 18:21:23 -0500

Lou Yovin wrote:
> Firt: is there a way to search among the archives here? An FAQ?
> I may have backed myself into a corner here... I have a T43 with SUSE 10.0 on
> it. I reinstalled without ACPI to fix a performance problem running VMWare 5.5
> with a Windows 2000 guest (needed for development work). That solves my
> performance problem (at the expense of battery life, although not all that
> bad). The problem comes when I try to suspend. The screen corrupts (a bunch of
> multi colored lines and squiggles), and the moon thingie just blinks. The
> machine is locked up and I can only power it off to get out of it. Anyone with
> experience like this have any suggestions (other than reinstalling ACPI).
>
> Thanks

Hi Lou,

If your T43 is very new like mine is, it's probably using a PATA drive
with an SATA bridge and it appears as SATA to the system. No current
kernel has support to actually wake the drive up, thanks to the bridge.
As far as I know.

I get this info from:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problems_with_SATA_and_Linux#Failed_resume_from_suspend_to_disk

I have tried the suggestions myself, to no avail. My understanding is
that this is a work in progress. This is what we get for having such new
hardware ;)