[ltp] HELP NEW HELP NEW !! ??

Sun, 29 Jan 2006 17:22:42 +0000

Dear Carlin,

As people may have pointed out - your subject isn't quite the most
helpful - it doesn't explain what your actual problem is, and all caps
looks as though you are SHOUTING. I would recommend you take a look
here: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

That said, let me try to answer your question. Knoppix does indeed fit
on CD-R, unless you are trying to use the DVD version, which doesn't. It
is possible you are having CD-burning issues, or perhaps you are using
the really-old 650MB discs. An alternative is that many of the Linux
magazines feature knoppix on the coverdisks, or you can get it inncluded
with books such as Marcel Gagné's primer "Move to Linux".

Lastly, since you are new to Linux, I'd recommend you install either:
Mandriva, SuSE or Ubuntu on it. The other distributions (eg
Gentoo,Fedora,Debian...) are excellent, but one of the first three will
be the easisest to start with. Whatever you do, I recommend downloading
the latest(*) version. [Caveat: many bookstores sell totally obsolete
versions of Linux - spare yourself the pain.]

Lastly, when you want to get the machine on the web, I'd advise trying
to set up ethernet first. The internal modems for thinkpads are mainly
Lucent winmodems; these do work, but it takes some effort.

Best wishes,

Richard

(*)The latest official release; not a development version. Eg the latest
Mandriva is "2006, community"; don't try to install "cooker"!

P.S. http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/ibm.html

Carlin Mitchell wrote:
> hey everyone...I got a free thinkpad i- 1171. I'd like to put knoppix on
> it but it wont fit on a cd-r. This laptop is not web ready. It has win
> 2k on it now. I have never played with linux but am fairly computer
> savvy. What do I need to do do to reconfigure this thinkpad to linux ? I
> nedd a how to for NEW linux people. any thoughts ?

rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk  **  http://www.richardneill.org
Richard Neill, Trinity College, Cambridge, CB21TQ, U.K.