[ltp] Bluetooth via vmware

Donald B. Altman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 5 Jul 2006 10:42:43 -0400

** Reply to message from Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk> on Wed, 05 Jul 2006 15:06:57 +0100

Hello,

I've used VMWare workstation forever to run Wxx clients under Linux and love it.

I'll try to help....

1)  You don't mention which VMWare product you're using.  As I said, my experience is
with workstation, currently at 5.5.1

2)  I don't use bluetooth at all, so I'm not familiar with the implementation.

3) Under VMWare workstation, in virtual machine settings, you can assign various devices to
the virtual machine, including USB, Parallel, Floppy, HD, ethernet, and sound.  Bluetooth
is not shown on my virtual machines, so it's not going to be straightforward to hook
it in, but that does not say impossible.  Were it shown, all you would do is unload the
Linux driver and set the proper /dev/ in virtual machine settings.  If you forget to
unload the Linux driver, VMWare politely complains to remind you to do so.

4)  VMWare has a very active and sophisticated user community.  I'd suggest trying
them at:
    http://www.vmware.com/community/index.jspa
If it can be done, they'll help you to do so.  If not, many employees lurk there and bluetooth
will be added to the wishlist for future implementations.

Good luck,

Don A

--
Donald B. Altman