[ltp] X60s: Reinstalling on a 100 GB

Atul Chitnis linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 10 Jul 2006 23:46:07 +0530 (IST)

I recently purchased an Thinkpad X60s, along with an extra 100 GB disk
(5400 RPM, SATA).

The original 60 GB disk came with the pre-desktop reinstall partition, but
the 100 GB drive (which I want to make my main drive), does not have the
installer.

Under normmal circumstances, this would not be an issue, since I use Linux
primarily, and installing FC5 is not an issue.

However, IBM/Lenovo requires the original OS shipped with the machine to
be installed in case service is required - which is why I usually have a
small Windows partition on the disk, installed using the shipped
installer, and the rest Linux (IBM/Lenovo are OK with this).

Now here is my issue - no physical media (i.e. no reinstall CDs), and no
way to install Windows as IBM/Lenovo/God intended on the 100 GB disk. :(

I could order reinstall disks from the USA (I live in India, and for some
strange reason, they refuse to give/sell us reinstall media here), but
that would take too long.

Does anyone have a clue how to back up the pre-desktop partition from the
60 GB disk and transferring it to the 100 GB in such a way that it becomes
bootable by hitting the F11/ThinkVantage key, so that I can do an install
of Windows, alon with all the required drivers (after which I shrink it
down to about 5GB, and use teh rest of the space for Linux)?

I have tried DD'ing the partition (type &12, about 4.8 GB, VFAT formatted)
to a file, then booting into knoppix, partitioning the disk to fill all
but the last 4.8 GB with an NTFS partition, then creating a second primary
partition, setting it to type &12, and DD'ing the originally saved
partition image into the second partion. This worked to the extent that I
can see the partition under Knoppix, can mount it and see all the correct
files there (and it passes a binary compare as well), but booting refuses
to boot off it. :(

After several days of trying, I am throwing in the towel and asking for
help. :) Can anyone tell me what to do to transfer the partition to teh
new disk, or how to turn it into a bootable DVD?

Help?!

Atul

--
http://atulchitnis.com (Professional)