[ltp] X60s: Heat, power management, battery

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 12 Jul 2006 21:16:44 +0200

Hello,

> laptop-mode-tools

OK

> cpufreqd

The function of cpufreqd was replaced by a kernel-internal system. And the
kernelbased system was working with your setup. Make sure the cpufreqd
does the same thing now. (and does not eat to much CPU-power, like it did
on mine)

> However, while that should get me better battery life, it still will not
> stop my palms from getting cooked when I am on AC power, unless I
> activate
> laptop-mode when on AC as well. Am not sure if that is a wise.

Laptopmode just causes more HD spindowns (and loses data if the system
crashs very hard). Windows does the same thing. And it´s better to
spindown the HD more often (every 10min...) then letting it run at high
temperatures.

about
> [root@vader] ~# cat /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/power
> bus master activity:     5248208f

Looks like something it keeping the CPU busy. Stop the X-server and try
 from console. If that helps: disable GLX in xorg.conf and try again with X
running. Or echange the intel-driver to vesa-driver.

Unload the wireless...

The ideal spot is "bus master activity: 00000000".

About iwconfig´s problem to enable powermanagement:
http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net/README.ipw3945 tells me "iwpriv set_power
5" (or "iwpriv set_power 7") is the command for that chip/module.

good luck.