[ltp] DVD is loud after ACPI sleep

Pasi Oja-Nisula linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 13:42:51 +0300

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 01:30:12PM +0300, Shem Multinymous wrote:
> "eject -x" and "hdparm -E" don't support DVD speed, just CD speed.

Good to hear this, since this seems to be a general misunderstanding.

> Try "speedcontrol -x" (sourcecode: http://safari.iki.fi/speedcontrol.c).

Tried that, but with no immediate success. It prints OK, but the
speed still stays the same. Might be interesting to find out how
to query the actual dvd value and see if it changes after running
this command.

I'm not sure when /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info is updated, but after ACPI sleep
it reports drive speed like this:

CD-ROM information, Id: cdrom.c 3.20 2003/12/17

drive name:             hdc
drive speed:            61

61 seems too high even for normal or performance mode (or whatever
they are called in bios). When set to silent mode and rebooted
the value is 6 like it should.

> You can also enable and use the optical drive control feature in
> tp_smapi (http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/Tp_smapi#Optical_drive_control_features)
> but see the warnings there.

Thanks, I managed somehow to not find these before. I'll play around
with this later.

It seems that setting the dvd speed is somewhat different with
the drives and not very well supported after all. Maybe most drives
_just work_ and don't need this at all?

On the other hand, while messing around with dvd stuff I have also
come to the conclusion that dvd itself has a major problem. Mainly
due to delicate nature of the media. Why on earth didn't they just put the
disc into some kind of plastic casing. I've been watching dvds
borrowed from the local library and scratches on discs make the whole
process really irritating. I have finally decided to just
"vobcopy -m" the whole disc and not bother with playing the actual
disc at all. This way I at least find out if there are any major
problems before starting the movie. So far I'm really pleased with
this method.

Pasi