[ltp] Re: X60s: Reinstalling on a 100 GB

Anthony Moulen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 08:18:54 -0400

On Tuesday 11 July 2006 05:16, dirk husemann wrote:
> Atul Chitnis wrote:
> > On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, dirk husemann wrote:
> >> huh?? i just had my X60s serviced (warped casing) and the IBM/lenovo
> >> repair center *insisted* on taking out the harddisk! even on the second
> >> round (they somehow managed to loose the LED icon cover plate) they
> >> insisted on having the harddisk taken out...interesting..
> >
> > Even if the problem is with the hard disk? :)
> >
> > I have been a TP user for the past 10 years here in India, and could
> > write a book on the experiences (which have mostly been
> > good/excellent). I have also had my TPs serviced across the world, and
> > can safely say that policies (or rather, their implementation) tend to
> > vary greatly.
>
> as i wrote: interesting ;-) also, i've to admit that in the past 10
> years this is the first time i've had to had a (new even) TP serviced...
>
>     cheers,
>     dirk
I have had harddrives and just about everything else you can have serviced,
serviced on a thinkpad.  And they do not require the harddrive ever.  If you
believe you have a failed harddrive, most of the time that is considered a
user serviceable part and they ship you a new harddrive with a return
package.  You provide them with a creditcard and if you don't return it, they
bill you for the price of the drive.  Other user serviceable parts are the
keyboard, the mini-pci device, memory and of course the optical drives.
Batteries are also but they usually don't go in the fist year when the
battery is covered.  I never ship my harddrive to IBM for service.