[ltp] Suspend and resume at a particular time?

Martin Samuelsson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 19:37:25 +0200

Norman Walsh @ 2006-04-12 (Wednesday), 13:06 (-0400)
> / Damien Challet <dchallet@onetel.com> was heard to say:
> | In the old thinkpads (600 etc) days, it was possible to set a wake-up time
> | with tpctl. I would be very interested to know how to do it with acpi.
>
> Hey, "ACPI". That was the magic word I needed. On my T42p at least,
> setting a wakeup time in /proc/acpi/alarm seems to do the trick:
>
> I ran the following command as root:
>
>   date -d "5 minutes" +"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S" > /proc/acpi/alarm
>
> then suspended my machine. Five minutes later it sprang back to life.
> Sweet.

Today I realized two things leading to having timed return from sleep
working for me. (Hurray! Hurray!)

First, there is an option in the bios configuration to enable or disable
acpi alarm. I don't think I've fiddled with it before, so it can
probably be set to off by default.

Unless you're having your computer clock to local time, the above
command only works for people living within the UK. Everyone else has to
take time zones into consideration and type something like this:

date -ud "5 minutes" +"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S" > /proc/acpi/alarm
--
/Martin