[ltp] X22 GL perfomance?

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 03 Jun 2006 20:35:51 -0400

On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 00:59 +0100, Richard Neill wrote:
> Dear All,

> I wonder whether anyone can give me a quick benchmark as to expected
> 3d-accel performance on an X22?

I don't think you can expect to get stellar 3D performancs out of an
X22, but it should be more than enough for the GL screensavers and Tux
Racer.

> I've got about 230 fps out of glxgears, and some of the GL applications
> (eg xscreensaver's "bouncing cow") work just fine. But other things (eg
> tuxracer or helios are really bad. (about 2 fps)

I can't give you any actual numbers right now due to the fact that my
wife's old X22 doesn't currently have a hard drive, but I seem to
remember that Tux Racer was playable with a stock Ubuntu Breezy
installation.  The only change I remember making was to change the
screen depth from 24 to 16 bit depth.

> I've already tweaked everything in xorg.conf, and tried what google has
> to suggest, to no avail.

> Can any other X22 (or X20,X21) owner tell me whether I could do better,
> or whether it is as good as it gets? I am beginning to suspect that I
> may be chasing wild geese (or perhaps wild penguins?)

I'll see if I can find a hard drive to put into the X22 and let you know
what I can get.  In the meantime, do you see anything interesting in the
X logs?

> X22 thinkpad, 256MB, p3 800MHz, ati graphics.
> Mandriva 2006 community, xorg 6.9.0. Also tried latest knoppix.
> The only option which seems to make a difference is 16 vs 24 bit.
> sw_cursor, loading GLCore etc have no noticeable effect.

How does Celestia run?  That one would sometimes give the X22 fits.

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <rick@rickandpatty.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com
* Blog: http://shrimpandgrits.rickandpatty.com