[ltp] Re: Bad news for us ...

M Daniel R M linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 04 Jun 2006 13:04:29 +0200

El sáb, 03-06-2006 a las 21:04 -0400, Andrew Barr escribió:

> > A proposito: it's easy to keep the IBM and Lenovo a part: if there are
> > no Windy keys, it's still IBM, and if there are Windy keys, it's 100%
> > Lenovo. As easy as that.
>
> I never understood the attention that was paid to the addition of Windows keys
> to the ThinkPad keyboard. It sounds like they had to make some other keys
> smaller to do it, which is bad, but it's really no big deal.

It's easy to understand, since their only presence are talking about
some kind of association between hardware and software to end users.
Consequently they are strengthening the myth that most people (even
laptop buyers) sadly believe, the same that particularly makes me
nervous (I suppose that happens to many Linux users too).
If every hardware manufacturer (PC related) did the same, and it becomes
unquestionable, all hardware would end up designed specifically to a
concrete operating system. More, evolution of both of them would become
metre-to-metre parallel and interdependent. Actually this already do
happens now at some rate, but I thought that -in some way, for a Linux
user that should be really unpleasant.
Personally, I think that's another barrier to the Linux world, and news
in that direction contribute without any doubt..., first to become the
myth a bit truer, ... secondly to make more difficult, arduous the work
of Linux developers, and last but not least... to give us (specially if
you are a 100% Linux user) the uncomfortable,annoying sensation of to be
a bit more rounded up. Therefore I'm afraid it has to do with freedom
(and variety).

> Perhaps there's a symbolic significance to it but again they're just keys on the keyboard.

Symbols are important. In the daily life, under some circumstances, they
are what sometimes will let you read between lines. So they are not
_just_ keys. If not, ask to any vendor or shop assistant out there...

I bought my first ThinkPad, also what was my first laptop, just five
months ago. I didn't have then any doubt about what manufacturer and
model would be, despite it should be (it _is_) a second handed product.
I think it has been the best investment I've done in the last years. But
if I had to buy now a new one, I'd consider Lenovo and _also_ some
others, that's because symbols are also important..., the overweight of
those Win keys would care to me much more than its real weight. All the
humans are the ability of read between lines, interpolate thoughts, and
like/dislike (anyway understand) symbols; hence if those keys were
there, I'd understand that product (in principle) is probably not
intended to me, I wouldn't be part of its possible buyer-audience (in
principle), since they are not "neutral" about software lines.

Regards,

Daniel

P.S. I'm (stupidly) proud of it -photos at the bottom of this page:

                 http://ploughingthemetal.galeon.com/hd05.html