Batteries for old thinkpads (batteryrefill.com?) was Re: [ltp] Bad news for us ...

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 04 Jun 2006 12:02:44 -0400

On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 09:13 -0400, David A. Desrosiers wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 14:57 +0200, Kris Steenhaut wrote:
> >
> > And by the way, as most of you apparently have missed it: Lenovo
> > announced it won't keep the change-batteries stock anymore, as IBM did
> > (one of the reasons of their losses btw). So, if it was me, I wouldn't
> > purchase a too old type anyway.

> Perfect opportunity for another third-party vendor of these batteries to
> enter the market here and make a killing, selling replacement batteries
> to everyone who has one of these "legacy" (1-year-old or older)
> laptops.

Quite a few places DO sell replacement batteries for "legacy" Thinkpads.
(I suppose my X31 would count as a "legacy" machine, since it has a few
years on it.)  I'm not sure about the quality of these third-party
batteries, but I'd assume they would beat an original battery that's so
dead that it will power the laptop for about twenty minutes.

But this seems as good a time as any to ask - anyone reading the list
have any experience with batteryrefill.com?  I was considering getting
my old X31 battery refilled with new cells rather than throwing it away.
The refilling costs a little less than a third-party replacement battery
for the X31.

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <rick@rickandpatty.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com
* Blog: http://shrimpandgrits.rickandpatty.com