[ltp] X22 GL perfomance? [SOLVED!]

Sun, 04 Jun 2006 18:50:08 +0100

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV wrote:

>>>Since you've got an X22 there - here's an experiment.  (Close all
>>>valuable programs while trying this!)  Open up an xterm run glxgears.
>>>Open up Celestia and run its demo mode - letting it run alongside the
>>>glxgears.  This trick would cause the machine to lock up when I used the
>>>X22, and I'm curious to see if the bug's still around in the later
>>>xorgs.  Sometimes the X22 would make it through the demo once, but a
>>>second run of the demo alongside a running glxgears window would kill
>>>it.
>
>>Yes - it still hangs. Complete lockup - not even responsive to SysRq.
>
> That sounds about right.  When the X22 locks up like that, it's *dead*.
> No debug output - no log files - no magic sysrq - nothing.
>
> I have a few tweaks from my X31 that I will try on the X22 that seem to
> prevent this lockup (at the price of slightly decreased performance).
> I'll let the list know how those work out.
>

>>Celestia + 1x glxgears = instant crash. Kernel didn't even manage to panic!
>

> If you have driconf installed, run it and change "method to limit
> rendering latency" to "busy waiting for the graphics hardware".  This
> will probably make the GL windows stutter while glxgears is running, but
> it might prevent the crash.  It doesn't seem to harm performance for
> anything I've tried OTHER than glxgears.

I tried driconf, with the following results:

1)Enabling HyperZ provides a huge boost to performance: glxgears jumps
from  400fps to 600 fps!

2)Setting
     "method to limit rendering latency" =
     "busy waiting for the graphics hardware"
makes no difference. It doesn't affect glxgears performance, and it
doesn't prevent glxgears + celestia + wait 10 seconds from killing the
system.

Just to check: I'm running driconf as USER, and am just telling driconf
to save settings, then restarting the GL app. I didn't restart X.

Regards,

Richard