[ltp] X22 GL perfomance? [SOLVED!]

Sun, 4 Jun 2006 14:02:09 -0400

On 6/4/06, Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> >>Yes - it still hangs. Complete lockup - not even responsive to SysRq.
> >
> > That sounds about right.  When the X22 locks up like that, it's *dead*.
> > No debug output - no log files - no magic sysrq - nothing.
> >
> > I have a few tweaks from my X31 that I will try on the X22 that seem to
> > prevent this lockup (at the price of slightly decreased performance).
> > I'll let the list know how those work out.
> >

> >>Celestia + 1x glxgears = instant crash. Kernel didn't even manage to panic!
> >

> > If you have driconf installed, run it and change "method to limit
> > rendering latency" to "busy waiting for the graphics hardware".  This
> > will probably make the GL windows stutter while glxgears is running, but
> > it might prevent the crash.  It doesn't seem to harm performance for
> > anything I've tried OTHER than glxgears.
>
> I tried driconf, with the following results:
>
> 1)Enabling HyperZ provides a huge boost to performance: glxgears jumps
> from  400fps to 600 fps!

You can also enable framebuffer tiling for an additional speed boost.
this should be enabled by default for r1xx and r2xx chips with xorg
6.9 and newer.  It's not available in 6.8.x IIRC.

> 2)Setting
>      "method to limit rendering latency" =
>      "busy waiting for the graphics hardware"
> makes no difference. It doesn't affect glxgears performance, and it
> doesn't prevent glxgears + celestia + wait 10 seconds from killing the
> system.
>
> Just to check: I'm running driconf as USER, and am just telling driconf
> to save settings, then restarting the GL app. I didn't restart X.

You don't have to restart.  dri config options are run-time
configurable.  They are also per-app configurable.  You can even
replace your 3d driver at run time if you want to test different
versions.

Alex