[ltp] X22 GL perfomance? [SOLVED!]

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 04 Jun 2006 14:43:57 -0400

On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 18:50 +0100, Richard Neill wrote:

> I tried driconf, with the following results:

> 1)Enabling HyperZ provides a huge boost to performance: glxgears jumps
> from  400fps to 600 fps!

That goes along with what I see here.

> 2)Setting
>      "method to limit rendering latency" =
>      "busy waiting for the graphics hardware"
> makes no difference. It doesn't affect glxgears performance, and it
> doesn't prevent glxgears + celestia + wait 10 seconds from killing the
> system.

Oh well ... I guess it couldn't have been *that* easy.  I do have a few
other things enabled/disabled on my X31.  I;m going to try to see how
each of these affects stability on the X22.

(from the Device section, xorg 6.8.2)

        Option          "AGPMode" "4"
        Option          "AGPFastWrite" "false"
        Option          "SWcursor" "true"
        Option          "EnablePageFlip" "true"
        Option          "EnableDepthMoves" "false"
        Option          "RenderAccel" "true"
        Option          "DynamicClocks" "false"
        Option          "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"

(I got these from Thinkwiki, if I remember correctly.)  Some combination
of the above, and the driconf setting mentioned at the top of the post,
seems to keep my X31 from locking up.  Or at least, I have been unable
to reporduce the crash so far with the above tweaks on at least one
machine.

> Just to check: I'm running driconf as USER, and am just telling driconf
> to save settings, then restarting the GL app. I didn't restart X.

Like Alex D says (and he should know :) ), a restart isn't necessary.
Well, unless your machine locks up.

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <rick@rickandpatty.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com
* Blog: http://shrimpandgrits.rickandpatty.com