[ltp] T30 and Fan

Martin Fluch linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 5 Jun 2006 15:08:29 +0300

Hi!

I have the problem that with my T30 the fan is nearly constantly
running. Straight after boot or wakeup from suspend to RAM the fan is
off for a while and it starts blowing. Vary rarely it turns down for a
short while.

My T30 comes with a 2GHz PIV which usually runns only at 1.2GHz
(cpufreqd). I run the Linux 2.6.15.7 kernel with ACPI support.
/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/temperature shows usually a temperature
around 40-44 degrees Celsius which is rather low,
/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM0/trip_points shows something like:

critical (S5):           92 C
passive:                 87 C: tc1=5 tc2=3 tsp=600 devices=0xc18e6b28

So I wonder what can be done to get the fan off (savely). With my
previous thinkpads (several T2x) it was no problem at all...

Can it have something todo with /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal, which in my case reads:

temperatures:   41 43 45 -128 31 -128 26 -128
                           ********

Any ideas? Anyone who successfully managed to keep the fan silent for
longer periods?

With best wishes,
- Martin