[ltp] Ubuntu Dapper on a22p - 1 data pt.

Harry Mangalam linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 5 Jun 2006 08:24:59 -0700

Hi All,

I previously posted my experiences with Breezy, mostly to the positive.  I
recently upgraded 2 systems to Dapper and with one glaring exception, the old
Thinkpad a22p works well with it.

The exception is that of power management using the stock kernel.
Hibernation, suspend, shutdown - nothing worked the way it's supposed to.
The cure was to recompile a kernel with all the ACPI turned OFF and use the
APM power management.  APM is compiled into the new kernels, but ACPI gets
activated 1st and I found no way to turn it off.  Using APM, suspend works
better than ever (even network comes back on after a long suspend), but
suspending still kills sound (the sound daemon error indicates some kind of
race condition and suicides) and I haven't been bothered enough to try to fix
it yet.

Others have found ACPI works well with more recent machines, but I guess the
a22 is too old to make use of it.

Removable devices work transparently for the first time (stick in a USB thumb
drive or CF carrier and it gets mounted, Windows-like).  More of KDE works
out of the box - kpilot picks up a USB Visor without problems, for example.

Things also seem to be a bit speedier (except openoffice, which seems to be
getting slower and buggier with each release - or is it just me?).  At least
dapper gives you the option of replacing the ghastly OOo 'file open' dialog
with KDE's much nicer one.

final IMHO: Ubuntu (and all debian-based systems) continue to demonstrate the
superiority of apt over rpm/yum-based systems.  In comparison, administering
FC4 and FC5-based systems makes my teeth hurt. apt- isn't perfect, but it's
by far the best installation/maint tool I've ever used.

--
Harry Mangalam - NACS, E1127, Engineering Gateway, UC Irvine 92697
949 824 0084(o), 949 285 4487(c) harry.mangalam@uci.edu