[ltp] T22 halt including powering off - ACPI or APM

Matthias Keller linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 09 Jun 2006 10:50:11 +0200

Daniel Maier wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 11:32:27AM +0200, Matthias Keller wrote:
>
>>> You both seem to experience the same problem with ACPI on the T22 as
>>> I did. The ACPI events stop working and if this happens, also
>>> powerdown does not work any more.
>>>
>>> Stop any process which might read /proc/acpi and try if this occurs
>>> again. ACPI events can be followed with /usr/bin/acpi_listen.
>>>

>> I tried experimenting but didn't get a solution yet
>> /proc/acpi seems only to be used by acpid:
>>
>> COMMAND  PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE       NODE NAME
>> acpid   2142 root    3r   REG    0,3    0 4026532101 /proc/acpi/event
>>

> That is why you need acpi_listen to follow the events while acpid is
> running. The file can be opened only by one process.
>
>> Do you have any other hints what in the end solved your problems?
>>
> If this event are still working before shutdown, poweroff should
> work. I just know that poweroff does not work, when ACPI is dead (=
> does not produce any events) and that ACPI events might die.
> Interestingly, the power button event always works here.

Yeah you're right, ACPI seems to die at some point.
When running acpi_listen after a while I dont see lid close events,
power cord removed events and all that stuff anymore - and when this
happens it cannot shutdown normally.....
So you didn't find any solution neither to at least allow for a clean
shutdown??
Maybe some special acpi=??? option or no(l)acpi and all that stuff?
Unfortunately my knowledge is too small to really start experimenting
with these :-(

Matt