[ltp] Re: Re: New hard disk for X31?

Michael linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 08:27:58 +0200

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV wrote:

> (Thinkpad X31, 1G RAM, 1.6GHz Pentium-M, Seagate 120G 5400 RPM drive, X
> and applications running on Ubuntu Breezy)
>
> This drive isn't the fastest in the world, certainly, but it's quite a
> bit faster in this machine than the 5400 RPM 40GB drive it replaced.

O.k. this explains, why you could hear your original 40GB drive. Mine was a
4200 rpm drive.

Guess that?s because you have a newer machine than I (1.6GHz vs. 1.4GHz
CPU).

Could you care to give some more noise details about the seagate? Low or
high frequency spinning noise? 1m and 10m distance in quiet room?

Thanks

Michael