[ltp] radeonfb sleep patch for kernel 2.6.15

Guarded Identity linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 01:34:21 -0500

> Laptops with everything working/sleeping as it should do 4-6 days
> suspend-to-ram on a full batt. You get batts ~45Wh with the R-Models, so
> about 0.46 Watt for 4 days.
>
> I think the 1-Watt-limit is OK.

I agree that the limit isn't so bad... it's just that my capacity isn't very
close to the 45Wh I originally had, and also, my battery is often only
partially charged.

Here's two follow up questions I have:

1) I've read that APM might offer significant savings in power lost during
than ACPI S3.  Is this something that might have been true in the past, but
not so much these days?  Can APM do better than the 0.50 Watts I burn with
S3?  I realize that a physical trial on my part is the best answer to this.
I'll try to get around to tinkering with the kernel sometime.  In the
meantime, maybe someone has an opinion.

2) Since it seems I'm sometimes in a position to "over-sleep" my laptop.  it
would be nice to convert my sleep into a Suspend2 hibernation.  I was talking
to someone in #suspend2 who mentioned that his Acer laptop automatically
wakes up from an ACPI S3 when the battery reaches a certain limit.  He says
he couldn't find anywhere in the BIOS that might control this behavior; maybe
it's some weird Acer-specific behavior.  But this does allow a script to be
run that can hibernate upon sensing the battery is too low.  Is it possible
to get Thinkpads to similarly wake up from an ACPI S3 sleep?  If not, then
can APM be set up to suspend-to-disk if a sleeping computer's battery gets
dangerously low?

- Sukant