[ltp] How to remap Alt-R into Super (for Compiz)?

Sun, 25 Jun 2006 15:13:09 +0100

Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 11:58:00AM +0200, Giuseppe Castagna wrote:
>
>>   I just installed Compiz on Aiglx in my Fedora 5 + rawhide X40 Thinkpad.
>>   It works nicely but unfortunately many effects are activated by the "Super"
>>key. If I understood correctly this is the Windows Key which, as we all
>>know is absent from the keyboard of our beloved Thinkpads.
>>   Does anybody know how to remap the right alt key (or the "Access IBM"
>>   one) to the Super key?
>

> I've a European keyboard layout with an extra key (labeled |\) between
> left shift and the letter X.  I've remapped it to Super with this
> command:

I've always found this confusing. Can anyone point me to an explanation
of the difference between  Super, Hyper, Compose, Meta, Alt, Alt_Gr,
Mod1, Mod4?

My understanding so far is that "Meta" is another name for "Alt", and
that Alt_Gr is for special characters, but that's the limit of my
understanding. Google isn't much help either.

What are the other keys, what do they do, and where are they located (or
what does one usually map them from)?

Thanks,

Richard