[ltp] How to remap Alt-R into Super (for Compiz)?

Sun, 25 Jun 2006 19:13:51 +0300

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 03:13:09PM +0100, Richard Neill wrote:
> I've always found this confusing. Can anyone point me to an explanation=
=20
> of the difference between  Super, Hyper, Compose, Meta, Alt, Alt_Gr,=20
> Mod1, Mod4?

Some of these are historic: MIT lisp machines had keyboards with
Control, Meta, Hyper and Super modifiers (and three shift keys):

  [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-cadet_keyboard

Some PC keyboards have two Alt keys, some have Alt and AltGr.  AltGr is
used as another Shift key on many non-US layouts, so that alphabetical
keys have three levels instead of two.

Compose is not a modifier key.  X window system has the notion of
composing characters.  For example, you can press Compose, O, C and get
=A9, the copyright symbol.  I think Sun keyboards have a physical key
labeled "Compose".  They also have both Alt and Meta (with a little
Diamond symbol).

Mod1 through Mod4 are not labels you can find on real keyboards.  Since
the real keyboards have different modifier keys, the X window system
reserves four names (mod1 through mod4) and lets you assign arbitrary
meanings for them.  Mod1 is usually mapped to Alt or Meta, Mod2 to Num
Lock.  Mod4 is usually free, so it is a natural choice for extra
modifier keys.  Some programs figure out what each of the ModX bits mean
by looking at the symbols mapped to them, some just assume Alt/Meta will
be Mod1.

I find it convenient to have an extra modifier (Super).  Ctrl and Alt
key sequences are often used by application programs, and this leaves
Super for the window manager (switching between workspaces) and shortcuts
for launching programs.

> My understanding so far is that "Meta" is another name for "Alt", and=20
> that Alt_Gr is for special characters, but that's the limit of my=20
> understanding. Google isn't much help either.

Old keyboards had Meta, but not Alt.  New keyboards have Alt, but not
Meta.  Old Unix programs that are still widely used (e.g. Emacs) treat
Alt as if it were Meta.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
A real friend isn't someone you use once and then throw away.
A real friend is someone you can use over and over again.

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99--