[ltp] LCD panel config

Norman Walsh linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 09 Mar 2006 16:27:08 -0500

--=-=-=

/ "Alex Deucher" <alexdeucher@gmail.com> was heard to say:
|> Any clues about how to tweak the config so that it's within the panels
|> parameters would be most appreciated.
>
| what sort of setting are you trying to achieve? dualhead? clone mode?=20
| CRT only?  if you want to use mergedfb which it looks like you are
| trying to do, you will need to specify the refresh rates for your

Well, I can only describe what I'm trying to achieve in terms of the
visual effect. I've never been able to get my head around all of the
technical options, which ones are actually available on my hardware,
and what they each can and can not do. (Pointers to user guides for
the clueless most appreciated.)

In order of perceived complexity, I'd like to accomplish at least one
of the following.

1. Display the same image on the laptop LCD and the attached external
   device (at home, that's either a CRT or most recently an LCD panel;
   on the road, that's often a projector).

2. Display the same image, as before, but with the additional
   complication that I'd like the panel to display 1600x1200 even when
   the external device can only display 1024x768 or even 800x600.

3. Display different images on the LCD and external device. The way
   I've usually seen this done is the case where the two screens are
   logically adjacent and the mouse can cross from one to the other.

4. Display as in 3, but with the LCD at 1600x1200 even when the
   external device is at a lower resolution.

What I have today is "2". With help from this list, and google, and
man pages, and a little dumb luck, I've got a configuration that
appears to work correctly. At home, the 1600x1200 desktop appears on
my CRT. On the road, I fiddle with the "MetaModes" option in this
section of my xorg.conf config:

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Card0"
	Driver      "ati"
	VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
	BoardName   "M10 NT [FireGL Mobility T2]"
	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
	# ndw
	Option		"MonitorLayout"	"LVDS,CRT"
	Option		"MetaModes" "1600x1200-1600x1200"
#	Option		"MetaModes" "1600x1200-1024x768"
	# /ndw
EndSection

to switch between 1600x1200 in both places and 1600x1200 on the panel
and 1024x768 on the projector.

Niavely, I imagined that when I plugged in the LCD panel, it would
work just like the current CRT monitor does. But it doesn't, hence my
original query. It seems to work, but it complains about a signal out
of range. (Interestingly, the CRT claims it's being driven at
87.5kHz/70Hz, which is within the range for the LCD, so I'm simply
more confused than usual, if that's possible :-)

| external lcd monitor using the:
|         #Option     "CRT2HSync"          	# [<str>]
|         #Option     "CRT2VRefresh"       	# [<str>]
| options since those apply to the second crtc in that case.

And how does one determine which values are correct there?

| if you are
| using "regular" multi-head you would need to create multiple device,
| monitor, and screen sections.

I attached my xorg.conf file and Xorg.log files to a previous reply.
But I'll happily send them again if they will allow you to figure out
what I'm actually doing :-)

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

=2D-=20