[ltp] Playing movies fullscreen on an external monitor

Vivek Dasmohapatra linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:49:57 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006, Mark T.B. Carroll wrote:

> Christopher Sawtell <csawtell@paradise.net.nz> writes:

> I use http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/atitvout/
> I seem to have to have the TV plugged in when I first boot the computer.

You can get around that with atitvout -[fr] detect on some hardware.
AIUI the newer xorg drivers have more support for the tv out, but
I'm not sure when they introduced it. I use atitvout on my A20p, but
I'm not sure it's still maintained, so it may not work for new(ish)
cards or laptops.

You will also need need a special cable, one should have come with your
laptpop: It will allow you to connect the 5-pin S-Video out on the
laptop to an RCA style socket, and a normal stereo headphone -> dual RCA
cable.

                                _____RCA JACK[B]
                               /
    [headphone jack] ---------(
                               \_____RCA JACK[R]

    [S-Video out] -------------------RCA JACK[Y]

I then connect these to an 3-way RCA [Video and Stereo audio] to
SCART cable, which then plugs into the back of my TV.