[ltp] R52 - Display shift

Torsten Wolf linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 22:38:14 +0100

Hi!

Perhaps, I'm a bit too pedantic or just have too much time to worry about
the following: The visible area of my screen (1400x1050 display, R52)
seems to be shifted to the left. At the right edge of the display, the
black line between the visible (back)lighted area of the desktop and the
bezel has a width of approx. 1.5mm, while on the left side, the desktop
fits the bezel almost exactly. In order to determine, if I loose a
portion of the desktop, I moved the cursor to the right and the left
border. The cursor is black and has a one-pixel-wide white border.
Dragging the mouse to the right, the cursor smoothly leaves the desktop
until only that white border remains. On the left side, the border
touches the edge and then the cursor "jumps" by two or three pixel rows
outside of the desktop. A screenshot does not show more details and
thus indicates, that the desktop does not extend behind the bezel.
However, on the consoles (vesafb) the fonts are a little bit hidden by
the bezel.

So I'm still wondering whether the display is mechanically shifted to the
left or if the driver (fglrx, vesafb) displaces the visible area. What
do you experience? Are your displays horizontally centered?

Regards,
Torsten