[ltp] Booting from external HD

Bernard Tremblay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 23:51:22 -0500

Le samedi 18 mars 2006 à 21:29 +0000, Timothy Murphy a écrit :
> Is it possible to boot a ThinkPad T20 from an external USB hard drive?
> Any suggestions gratefully received.
>
> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
------------------------
Bernard Tremblay
imaginasys@fastmail.fm
(418)658-1411
------------------------

Hi,

The BIOS of the T20 does not support booting from USB.  I have an A21P
wich is like a T21 with a bigger screen and it does not boot from USB
neither.  What you can do is boot from a floppy disk that will load
necessary drivers and boot from your USB disk.  There is are nice USB
distros that will show you all information about that.

take a look at FeatherLinux at : http://featherlinux.berlios.de/ and
there is a good article about that particular subject at :
http://www.chipnick.com/thumbdrive-linux/

Regards,

   BT