[ltp] Several Problems on Gentoo with T43

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:24:18 -0500

On Wednesday 22 March 2006 07:28, after a long battle with technology,
fire-eyes wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 March 2006 10:07, Daniel Baule wrote:
> > i got several problems while installing Gentoo. I cann not emerge
> > ati-drivers, alsa-drivers and ipw2200.

You shouldn't need to "emerge alsa-drivers".  ALSA's in the kernel.  You
have to have DRI set to N in your .config to get the evil binary-only
ATI fglrx thing to compile.  Finally, you have to have firmware loading
support set to Y, 802.11 general support set to Y, and ipw2200 set to N
in your .config to be able to emerge ipw2200.  In the default Gentoo
kernel, DRI is set to Y and all the 802.11 cards are set to M, so you
have to get in there and "make menuconfig" and get everything set
properly.

[snip]
> > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M22 [Radeon
> > Mobility M300]
> > 04:02.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2915ABG
> > Network Connection (rev 05)

2915, not 2200, but it should still work.

> Hi, I use gentoo and can probably be of some help. Can you tell me
> what you mean by "can not emerge"? Details would help :) Running a T43
> here.

Yeah.  Like fire-eyes said, and like the Gentoo handbook states, if you
can't emerge something, the *first* thing you do is find the first
build error and reproduce that for other people to see.  Without that
info, it's really difficult to tell exactly what needs to be done.
(The only reason I feel partially confident in telling you what to do
here is that I had similar problems with installing Gentoo on my T42p 2
weeks ago....)

--
   Something unpleasant is coming when men are anxious to tell the
   truth.   --Benjamin Disraeli