[ltp] T41: Terminating Fglrx causes Radeon FB to be mangled

Felix E. Klee linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 25 Mar 2006 23:11:31 +0100

Earlier today, I've included Radeon FB buffer support into the kernel
2.6.14.4 used with my T41 with Radeon 9000.  In fact I patched the
kernel before recompilation: My system used to suffer from the power
drain problem in Suspend to RAM - see <URL:http://www.thinkwiki.org/w
iki/Problem_with_high_power_drain_in_ACPI_sleep

Now, my system starts with a Framebuffer console and when I suspend it,
it doesn't consume as much energy as before anymore.  So, I'm happy with
that, if there weren't the following problem:

After logging into the system I frequently start an X session with
"startx".  The X server is ATI's proprietary Fglrx 8.20.8.  X runs fine,
and I'm already used to several features of this X server, so I don't
want to change it.  However, when I terminate the X server and return to
the framebuffer text console, then the display becomes totally garbled,
i.e. unreadable.

How do I avoid this problem?  Can I somehow reset the framebuffer text
console?

Furthermore: Can I disable the framebuffer text console without having
my system suffer from the power drain problem again?  I'd be happy with
an ordinary non-framebuffer text console.

--
Felix E. Klee