[ltp] Hibernate?

Norman Walsh linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:19:27 -0500

--=-=-=

I'm running Ubuntu "Dapper" on my T42p. I switched to ACPI ages ago
and suspend-to-RAM (Fn+F4) "just works". Several kernels ago, before I
even switched to Ubuntu, I think, I patched and built a
softwaresuspend2 kernel that could hibernate. But I'm trying to live
in a world where I don't build my own custom kernel all the time.
(Only for convenience, no real reason.)

Hibernate (Fn+F12) hasn't worked since I last built the kernel myself.
It doesn't really matter, but it's handy when I'm on a plane and I
want to switch batteries without losing all my context.

A couple of weeks ago I happened to notice that there was a
/etc/acpi/hibernate.sh script ... so I ran it.

Low and behold, the machine hibernated. Better still, it came back
From=20hibernation :-)

Sweet. So I used it again a few days later and it got part way through
resuming and just came to a stop.

I've run it a few more times since then and it fails to resume a
little more often than it resumes successfully, I think.

Ignoring the fact that the key binding doesn't work, should I expect
hiberanation to work reliably on my T42p? If so, why doesn't it? :-)

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

=2D-=20
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Besides a mathematical inclination, an