[ltp] Hibernate?

Mike Kershaw linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Mar 2006 15:13:46 -0500

--n2Pv11Ogg/Ox8ay5

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 02:19:27PM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
> I'm running Ubuntu "Dapper" on my T42p. I switched to ACPI ages ago
> and suspend-to-RAM (Fn+F4) "just works". Several kernels ago, before I
> even switched to Ubuntu, I think, I patched and built a
> softwaresuspend2 kernel that could hibernate. But I'm trying to live
> in a world where I don't build my own custom kernel all the time.
> (Only for convenience, no real reason.)
>=20
> Hibernate (Fn+F12) hasn't worked since I last built the kernel myself.
> It doesn't really matter, but it's handy when I'm on a plane and I
> want to switch batteries without losing all my context.
>=20
> I've run it a few more times since then and it fails to resume a
> little more often than it resumes successfully, I think.
>=20
> Ignoring the fact that the key binding doesn't work, should I expect
> hiberanation to work reliably on my T42p? If so, why doesn't it? :-)

I use swsusp2, which breaks your policy of not building a custom kernel,
but it's pretty stable.

You might look into the swsusp2 hibernate scripts, which automate
unloading/reloading modules, restarting services, etc.  You ought to be
able to set them to use the hibernate to disk call, or as a model to
tweak your hibernate.sh.

Key bindings depend on your acpi setup and other modules.  ibmacpi
changes the events sent.  Check your syslog for unhandled acpi event
notes and you ought to be able to put a switch catch for them in your
default.sh acpi.

As far as "should it work", definitely maybe.  A lot depends on what
modules you have, what video card, what X drivers, and specific kernel
releases.  At this point, my radeon T43 seems to suspend to ram and disk
both without grief, I haven't had a suspend or resume failure in either
mode since I ironed out the "instant death" bugs.  I use ibm-acpi to
change the keyboard trigger events and catch them in the acpi
default.sh.  I do, however, run a custom kernel with a few additional
patches.

-m

--=20
Mike Kershaw/Dragorn <dragorn@kismetwireless.net>
GPG Fingerprint: 3546 89DF 3C9D ED80 3381  A661 D7B2 8822 738B BDB1

Some people call them "cars" or "trucks"; I call them "dimensional
transmogrifiers" because they change three-dimensional cats into
two-dimensional ones.
                -- F. Frederick Skitty

--n2Pv11Ogg/Ox8ay5

--n2Pv11Ogg/Ox8ay5--