[ltp] Hibernate?

Norman Walsh linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 18:18:43 -0500

--=-=-=

/ "Charles E \"Rick\" Taylor IV" <rick@rickandpatty.com> was heard to say:
| On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 14:19 -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
|
|> Hibernate (Fn+F12) hasn't worked since I last built the kernel myself.
|> It doesn't really matter, but it's handy when I'm on a plane and I
|> want to switch batteries without losing all my context.
|
| You might want to use the command acpi_listen and see if Fn+F12
| generates an acpi event.  If so, just have the machine run the hibernate
| script you mention below when the button's pressed.

Mario pointed me to

  http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/ubuntubreezythinkpadt42.html

which suggests that upgrades from Hoary -> Breezy (-> Dapper?) may leave
cruft around. In particular, some of the ACPI stuff seems different from
what other folks have reported.

In the case of Fn+F4 and Fn+F12, both generate events and they both
execute scripts of the form=20

#!/bin/bash
. /usr/share/acpi-support/key-constants
acpi_fakekey $KEY_SLEEP=20

The "acpi_fakekey" for sleep works. The one for hibernate does nothing.
Running /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh *does* seem to do the right thing.

| My wife's thinkpad suspends-to-disk/resumes more reliably if the
| (prism54 cardbus) wireless card and modules are removed before the
| suspend.  Hers is an older model thinkpad, though.h

I'll check on that too.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

=2D-=20