[ltp] Screen resolution and console fonts for T23 1400x1050

John Lumby linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 02 May 2006 21:57:47 -0400

>John Shane <jslists@mtwafrica.org> wrote:
>I have a T23 (2647-9SU) with a 1400x1050 screen and am having a
>difficult time getting a nice looking text console.

I have T23 with the S3 supersavage graphics chip.    I woudl have assumed
all T23's came with this except that I saw someone else talking about the
radeonfb driver (?) in a reply to your  post.      For quite some time now,
2.6 kernels have had the option of a frambebuffer graphics driver for the
console for the Savage chips (config option CONFIG_FB_SAVAGE=y).   Try this,
and then choose one of the the various fonts - I use iso10.f14, giving 42
very readable lines, but you can find fancier ones.    BTW, Originally I
tried setting the driver as a module, thinking I would experiment, but, and
this may be my ignorance, I could not get it to actually control the console
when loaded as a module, only as built-in as I've shown.

I have to say it is not perfect (I also have a T42 with an ATI firegl chip
and the corresponding framebuffer driver is much superior) but it's far
better than the standard VESA video settings to my eye.

John