[ltp] hdparm scores 38.25 MB/sec on my T40 running SUSE 10.1 RC3

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 07 May 2006 14:27:43 +0200

Hello,

> Running "hdparm" scores 38.25 MB/sec on my T40 (OS is SUSE 10.1 RC3)
> Is this good, bad or average ?

That's normal for a 4200/5400 rpm or older model 7200 rpm notebook HD. If
you want more speed install a recent 7200 rpm notebook HD (possible with
nearly all Thinkpads, even R40 ...).

The only catch is the SATA-ATA converter in the very new modells. It does
not accept all HDs, so you have to stick to IBM's recommandations.

> How much have the improvements in hard drive technology
> (ATA-6 => SATA II, etc.) affected hard drive performance?

All SATA, ATA-5 and ATA-6 use the same basic components. They don't get
faster or slower because of SATA. The only big catch is between ATA-5 and
SATA/ATA-6: ATA-5 cannot use drives bigger then 128GB, while SATA/ATA-6
have no such limitation.

cu