[ltp] T21 Slow Network

Richard Bellin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 12 May 2006 08:53:59 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All,

  I have a T21 Thinkpad that I am having network
problems with under Linux.

 The Thinkpad is attached to an internal 100bt network
with a NETGEAR FR114p router, which is also attached
to a DSL modem. The network adapter in the Thinkpad
is an Intel EtherExpress Pro/100+ MiniPCI. The Linux
version on the Thinkpad is SUSE 10.

 The problem is that data transfers between this
laptop
and any other computer on the local network are VERY
slow. It would appear that transfer rates are
throttled at 2mb per second. In fact I can transfer
files from systems on the Internet (through the DSL
connection) faster than I can between another machine
on the internal network!

 I have tried using transfers from SMB mounted drives,

as well as FTP copies, with the same speed limits. If
I boot Windoze on the Thinkpad, the problem
disappears, and data transfers on the local network
are 20x+ faster
then under Linux.

 I assume that there is a Linux setting that needs to
be changed to fix this bottleneck. However, I am still

a bit new to this OS, and do not know what it is that
would need tweaking. Any pointers that anyone could
provide would be greatly appreciated.

  Thanx in advance

  Rich