[ltp] Ubuntu (Breezy) and Thinkpad X31: Fn-F7?

Fri, 12 May 2006 20:11:25 +0300

--7JfCtLOvnd9MIVvH

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 02:50:26PM -0400, Charles E Rick Taylor IV wrote:
> After the keyboard on my JVC MiniNote started acting up, I decided to go
> back to Thinkpads for my main notebook and got an X31 (2884-BRU).  So
> far, I'm very pleased with the support - nearly everything I've tried
> has worked out-of-the-box (3D accel, suspend, hibernate, wireless, wired
> ethernet, USB2, etc.)
>=20
> I notice that most of the Fn-Fx combinations produce acpi events. =20
>=20
> Fn-F1 gives me "ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001001"
> Fn-F5 (wireless) "gives me ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001005"

Which Fn-Fx combinations produce ACPI events depends on the bit mask in
/proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey.

I wanted to bind a script to Fn-F6 (to toggle Bluetooth on/off
separately from WiFi), so I had to edit
/etc/modprobe.d/ibm_acpi.modprobe on my Ubuntu system and change it to
read

  options ibm_acpi hotkey=3Denable,0xffff experimental=3D1

(IIRC the experimental=3D1 bit was already there).

> But one combo that doesn't generate an event is Fn-F7 (display), which
> as far as I can tell does nothing at all on my stock Breezy install
> (ACPI enabled).  I can toggle the LCD and CRT via the command line with
> radeontool, but how can I bind that to Fn-F7?

So, one way of doing this is to change the hotkey bit mask, and write a
script that uses radeontool (or echo video_switch > /proc/acpi/ibm/video).
Another way, probably, is to use the bioshotkeys option in xorg.conf.

HTH,
Marius Gedminas
--=20
Remember, drive defensively! And of course, the best defense is a good offe=
nse!

--7JfCtLOvnd9MIVvH

--7JfCtLOvnd9MIVvH--