[ltp] T21 Slow Network

Brad Langhorst linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 12 May 2006 14:00:51 -0400

Richard Bellin wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
>   I have a T21 Thinkpad that I am having network
> problems with under Linux.
>
>  The Thinkpad is attached to an internal 100bt network
> with a NETGEAR FR114p router, which is also attached
> to a DSL modem. The network adapter in the Thinkpad
> is an Intel EtherExpress Pro/100+ MiniPCI. The Linux
> version on the Thinkpad is SUSE 10.
>
>  The problem is that data transfers between this
> laptop
> and any other computer on the local network are VERY
> slow. It would appear that transfer rates are
> throttled at 2mb per second. In fact I can transfer
> files from systems on the Internet (through the DSL
> connection) faster than I can between another machine
> on the internal network!
maybe you have some problem with the frame size on your internal nework...

frames to the outside world will be less than 1500 bits - are you using
jumbo frame gear?

could also be a problem with auto negotiation - use mii-tool to see what
your card negotiated for a speed.

do you see errors in the statistics for ifconfig?

you could also try a pcmcia network card to see if the problem is with
your card.

finally - try a bootable linux distribution to eliminate a software problem.

brad