[ltp] I shall try my laptop's wireless

Dan Jacobson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 17 May 2006 03:04:16 +0800

New to wireless, I wish to try it out on my Thinkpad r50e, even though I
am rural with nothing to connect to. Debian sid boot message shows all OK:
ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, git-1.0.8

What to do next? I shall issue
# iwconfig eth0 WHAT?
and then the 1 and/or the A lights (meaning what?) will come on, yes or no?
And my ham radio frequency counter will detect a signal, right?
(OK, maybe not, as it is analog.)
Then I will turn it back off with ifconfig eth0 WHAT?
Maybe before I do, I shall scan to see if some other signals are
present in my area with WHAT? And maybe display them or a spectrum with WHAT?