[ltp] X40: APM hibernate broken by kernel upgrade to 2.6.15

Norman Ramsey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 23 May 2006 11:35:05 -0400 (EDT)

I have an X40 that I've just upgraded from an old Emperor Linux kernel
to a 2.6.15 kernel from the Debian project.  This upgrade fixed what I
needed it to fix (ALSA instead of OSS), but in the process, APM
hibernation has broken.

Symptoms:

  * Suspend to RAM with Fn-F4 works fine; the kernel detects the APM
    event and runs suitable scripts (which unload and reload USB
    drivers).  Resume from this state also works fine.

  * Suspend to disk with Fn-F12 does not work:
      - The APM event scripts are not run.
      - The display blanks and the 'crescent moon' light flashes,
        but there is only brief disk activity.  (Normally the disk
        runs for several minutes, because it takes a long time to
        write a 1.5GB image.

The kernel that works correctly is listed in /boot/grub/menu.list as
follows:

  title   Debian Linux w/ EmperorLinux kernel (2.6.8.1-emp1) [APM]
  root    (hd0,0)
  kernel  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-emp1 \
          root=/dev/hda1 ro \
            vga=792 \
        acpi=off \
          noresume2 \
          cachesize=1024

The kernel that does not hibernate correctly is listed in
/boot/grub/menu.list as follows:

  title         Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.15-1-686
  root          (hd0,0)
  kernel                /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-1-686 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=792 \
                     cachesize=1024 acpi=off
  initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-1-686

I believe my hard drive is configured correctly to enable the BIOS to
hibernate onto /dev/hda4:

    Name        Flags      Part Type  FS Type          [Label]        Size (MB)
    hda1        Boot        Primary   Linux ext3      [Linux root]     56810.80
    hda2                    Primary   Linux swap / Solaris              1556.09
    hda4                    Primary   IBM Thinkpad hibernation          1644.17

Any suggestions about how to diagnose and repair this problem would be
warmly appreciated!

Norman